Back to Homepage. Information about the Society. Membership details and information Society officers. Clan Information. Scottish History Information. Duncan Heraldry and Information. Society News. Usefull Scottish Links. Image Galleries. Duncan Genealogy. Various events and attractions. The Society's Forum. Society Contact Information. Society News. Duncan Tartans. Sign and View the Guestbook.



David Duncan the Albion Hermit


David Duncan (1810-1868), the “Albion Hermit.” Lived a recluse life on 80 acres of land which was located near the Kalamazoo River, south of where the Caring Community Church is located today on Irwin Avenue. “Dunk’s Cove” is the name for the big curve in the Kalamazoo River a mile west of Riverside Cemetery, for it was near this site that “Old Dunk” made his abode.


This month marks the anniversary of his death, when he was found on March 6, 1868. Duncan had come to Albion in the spring of 1835 from New York. He came here as a peddler of goods which he had purchased at an auction of merchandise damaged by a fire in New York in December, 1834. He ran out of merchandise and subsequently purchased his land from the U.S. government.

Duncan began to act queerly, and Alienates wondered about the background of this man. One source wrote shortly after his death in 1868, “What caused him to live in this manner has always been a mystery here. It was supposed by some that he was disappointed in love and by some that he had committed crime and had chosen a life of seclusion to shun detection. Every effort to trace his nativity always proved unsuccessful. So he has lived worse than a brute and died equally as bad.”

Duncan first dug a hole in the side of the earth on his land where he lived for ten years. In 1847 he erected a small frame house which he never finished. A family by the name of Smagg was said to have lived with him for about six months. He lived alone for many years, growing vegetables and raising cattle which he took to market.

David Duncan the Alion Hermit - Click for Larger image

David Duncan


Dr. Elmore Palmer wrote in 1908, “Everything clearly indicated that he never washed himself or his rags. Filth in the greatest amount and odours the rankest of the foul are still perceptible to the writer’s olfactories.”

A “John C. S.” wrote in 1868, “He now began to dress more shabbily and grow more miserly until he was really a sight to behold. For the past eight or ten years his dress has actually consisted of bags sewed about his body. In the cold season he wore an ox hide with a hole cut in the middle to insert his head for a supposed overcoat. A portion of a bag and a piece cut from the hide was sewed together for a cap, and boxes made of oak boards about 6 X 15 inches with half a bag nailed around the top served for boots.” That writer mentioned he had retrieved one of Dunk’s wooden boots upon his death and found that it weighed eight and a half pounds.


Tombstone of David Duncan - Click for Larger Image

Dunk's Tombstone

In early March 1868, a winter storm hit the area. A Mr. Perrine went to visit Duncan, and found him frozen to death, sitting on the floor against his fireplace, covered with snow. Perrine hurried back to Albion where he contacted Fitz Williams, who organized a group of men which included the Coroner, Dr. Willoughby O’Donoughue.

The group found that “Old Dunk” had $11.18 in his pocketbook, some corn and cornmeal upon which he fed during his last days, and some old sales receipts from 1834 when he had lived in New York. The body was taken to the Albion Fire House, located in downtown Albion, presently 113 S. Superior St. His body was placed in a large tub of water to thaw out. An inquest jury determined that Duncan must have been sick and died of natural causes. One witness stated, “After the clothes were soaked off, the skin actually looked like a scurvy hog and as the frost came out the dirt would crack off in chunks.”

Duncan had kept his money in the National Exchange Bank of Albion, then located on the southwest corner of S. Superior and W. Porter Sts. With his funds in the bank and the $11.18 cash, a cemetery lot


and a coffin was purchased for him. Services were held at the fire hall on the Sunday following the discovery of his death. The First Baptist Church minister, the Rev. P. Van Winkle delivered the eulogy. The remainder of the funds in his estate were used to purchase a tombstone.

During the early 20th century Duncan’s tombstone was cracked in half and lay unkept. In 1947 the staff of the Albion Recorder was notified of this and paid to have “Old Dunk’s” tombstone encased in cement foundation where it remains today. Thus the mystery has been solved: It was the Albion Recorder which had “Old Dunk’s” tombstone encased in cement in Riverside Cemetery.

Larger images Can be Found in the Gallery: Tombstone and David Duncan


By Frank Passic


More Duncan Biographies


The Society's Community Forum


Join the Society


| Home | Clan Duncan Society | Society Membership | Officers | Clan Duncan Information | History | Duncan Coats of Arms |

| Duncan Tartan| Clan Gallery | Events | Clan Duncan forum | Contact | Clan Duncan Society News  | Website Design |

| Duncan Biographies | Scottish History | Duncan Genealogy | Scottish Heraldry | Duncan Crest Badges | Links | sitemap

| © Clan Duncan Society 2009last Update 06 Apr 2009 | downloads | u2surf |


Website design by Huntly Computer Services